Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday 15 June 2013

Tagged Under:

Artistes pay glowing tributes to Fatai Rolling Dollar

By: Unknown On: 09:03
  • Share The Gag

  • Tributes are still pouring in for late highlife legend, Fatai Rolling Dollars, who passed away on Wednesday, June 12, after a protracted battle with cancer of the lungs.



    Below are excerpts:

    We will all miss him-Tee Mak Omatsola Iseli

    We will all miss him. I have known him since the 70s. He was a great musician and I shared stages with him a number of times. I enjoyed watching him play at O’jez on so many occasions. During the period when he was down, I searched for him for so many years and when he returned I was glad to reunite with him again. We will miss him for a long time to come.

    We will immortalize him-Femi Esho, record label boss

    I met him many years ago. We became closer when we discovered him and took him to O’jez, Iwaya. He is a wonderful musician, one of the greatest guitarist we have ever had in the country. He could transit with his guitar from highlife to Juju very easily. We are planning to immortalise him and we are discussing with his friends. I was not surprised that he is dead because I knew about his ailment some four months ago. We had a show in January where he was supposed to perform but he couldn’t make it. When he was to travel a few months ago, I persuaded him not to go. And since he came back from the USA, he has been hospitalised. I still spoke to him on Sunday so his death was not a shock to me. I’ll miss his cordiality. He is almost 50 years older than me but he was so humble and polite.

    We shall meet again never to part-Jide Morohunfolu, TV presenter

    Fatai Omo Olagunju, you’re one of the few men who never feared death. You knew it would come one day and that’s what you always told me. Baba, your second chance is over. Bye till we meet never to part again
    He was a custodian of music-Kunle Tejuosho, record label boss

    Baba was a great musician. He lived the life of a musician. He was always happy to perform. Maybe he took too much on. He was a great guy who enjoyed life to the fullest. He had a second chance which he used very well. He would be missed because he brought the past to the present through his music; he was a great music custodian.

    His death is a great loss-Pa Orlando Julius

    It is so sad because on Saturday morning, Latoya was listening to Raypower when they reported that he was in hospital and needed N29, 000 before they could discharge him so I called his number and his wife picked and gave it to him. He told me to ignore the reports that he was hale and hearty and had been discharged already. I was so happy to hear his voice because there’s a lot of songs that I have recorded for him and we had been discussing the release.

    And then today I was at Alianz Francais when we got the news and we were crying, Latoya and I. for over an hour I couldn’t drive my car.

    He is one of our legends. He made people happy and touched lives with his music. I am very sure the family will release the songs because I will hand over everything to them; it could give them financial support in the long run. We will miss a lot about him especially his unreleased music.  We have come a long way. He and IK Dairo belong to the same class; may his soul rest in peace.

    He played free at my father’s funeral-Yomi Opakunle, ex-manafer

    My joy is that God turned his life around when I managed him through great men like Ashiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Babatunde Fashola among a host of corporate entities, artistes, the media and organizations who stood by him. I won’t forget soon how he played free at my late father’s 70th birthday. He had such a benevolent heart.

    I am in shock-Yeni Kuti 

    I am really sad about it. The last time I saw him was at Freedom Park when his documentary aired. Please I am so sad I can’t talk now.

    Nigeria has lost a great treasure-Femi Odugbemi

    I am so sad. It’s a day that was bound to come. Though he was not young, he was one of those treasures you hope will always be around. He was an amazing talent and artiste who put all he had in his act. It’s interesting that he died on June 12 because Nigeria seems to lose its best on June 12. He did not live his age and had the vision and talent of a great mind. I hope Nigerian youths will emulate him. Nigerian has lost a great treasure.

    0 comments: